Sample Collection Instructions Coat Color and Genetic DNA Tests
CHEEK SWAB COLLECTION INSTRUCTION
HealthGene Laboratory offers an easy non-invasive way to collect samples for canine coat color and genetic DNA tests.
- Perform the collection on one dog at a time
- Open the package contating the brushes.
- Collect genetic material by rubbing a brush 10 times against the inside of one cheek.
- Repeat step #3 using the same brush on the other cheek.
- Repeat steps #3 and #4 with the remaining 2 brushes in the package.
- Enclose the brushes into the paper envelope provided and seal it.
- Write dog’s ID on submission form provided by HealthGene.
- Place the collected samples and submission form into the return envelope provided.The submission form and the return envelope can be used for multiple sample submission.
- Send the package by regular mail. For international shipment, please use any express mail service.
BLOOD COLLECTION INSTRUCTION
HealthGene Laboratory offers some DNA tests that require a BLOOD sample.
Blood can be collected by your veterinarian or a licensed veterinary technician and must be submitted with the HealthGene’s submission form (printable submission form will be generated and sent to you by email during the ordering process).
HealthGene does not supply sample collection kits since your veterinarian will have the necessary supplies. Collect 3ml of blood in a lavender (EDTA) tube from the dog. Do not freeze the sample at any time. Refrigeration is recommended if the sample will not be shipped on the day that it is collected.